Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chapter 28

I really had a hard time reading this chapter. I didn't understand what exactly they were trying to get at. I understand that literacy is a main part of our education and that Deaf people did not get the full experience. The book talked about Hartford Asylum and how it was for Deaf children and adults to get an education. The book went into details about how their school days went and how Thomas Hopkins Gallaudent and Laurent Clerc were part of the original faculty. It talked about handwriting and how it is considered to be an art...which I believe is still true in the classroom now. Teachers pry students to try to be neat but sloppy writing is not graded as an F or anything along those lines. At Hartford Asylum there was no speech therapists for people. I thought this was interesting because most of the time Deaf students will have to go to speech therapy. I don't know if Deaf people like to do this but it is part of the education. I think it would be really hard for the Deaf to be in speech therapy since they aren't able to hear or hear well. I think that Deaf students should get the same out of education that hearing people get. It would be more difficult for students to get the same education but you have to differentiate for these students and meet all their needs. We learn about this in all our classes, to make sure you are giving all students a proper education. I think that learning at least a little sign language will benefit me if I have a Deaf student. I hope  that they would feel a little more comfortable with me. I would really enjoy to learn the language and try to become fluent in it and maybe that will be possible. It would really benefit me as an future teacher and would, hopefully, be a benefit for my student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment