Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chapter 39

When I used the word "handicapped," my deaf friends get angry. Why is that?

They probably get angry because it's not really a handicap, in my opinion. The book says, "in purely medical terms, it's a disability..." (p. 249). I think that is acceptable because in medical terms I guess it would be. People who are deaf can do anything I do. It doesn't really make any difference that they aren't able to hear and I am. Everyone is different, I'm sure they are better at many other things than I am. It is just a characteristic about them. It's not like people who are deaf can't communicate with one another. It is more difficult to communicate with everyone but not impossible. 

I think whose ever friends gets upset about the person calling them handicap is totally acceptable. I wouldn't want my friends to refer to me as handicapped or disabled. I've never been in the situation where this has happened before but I know that if I ever have a child that is deaf, I would want them to be treated equally. Disabilities are hard to understand and label because in schools, I guess, being deaf could be considered a disability. This again, would be in medical terms though. I hope that if I ever have a student who is deaf that I will be able to understand and communicate with them as much as possible. It's important for me to see every side of all situations and accept all students for all of their different characteristics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment