Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chapter 44 & 45

Chapter 44

I didn't really understand this chapter while I was reading through it. I couldn't get a good reading on whether the author was okay with deaf parents asking new parents if the baby is deaf. I don't really see anything wrong with parents who are deaf asking this question. I did think it was a little silly when the author says, "But virtually all Deaf folks ask: "deaf or hearing?" I don't know why it bothered me but I guess I just feel like there is more to ask than just that question. I understand that that wouldn't be ALL they ask about the baby but the first question? It make sense that they want to get a feel for the baby's background but what does that mean exactly? If they aren't deaf, the parents don't want to have anything to do with them? I guess I just got a negative vibe from reading that sentence. 

"One of them" really bothered me as well. I understand and totally get that there is a completely different world in the deaf culture but "one of them"? I feel like everyone should be together. There shouldn't be them and us; it should just be all of us together. I think that if more of the world began to see it like this then there would be less issues with other cultures. There is so much of them and us that it gets hard to make connections. I love that the deaf community is so welcoming when I attend deaf culture events but sometimes this book sounds like they really aren't and I just think that they are. It really is hard to take these past few chapters and feel like I would be accepted into the deaf community.

Chapter 45

I really liked this chapter because I think that I agree with the authors position! It is so difficult for hearing people to understand what it's like to be deaf but I feel that since the vast majority of the world is hearing that it would be easier for parents who are deaf to raise a child that is hearing. That child will be easily bilingual while they are growing up, which is an amazing thing! Although it may be very difficult for the deaf parents raising a hearing child, I believe that as long as communication takes place that they will do a great job. If you love your children, there is not much more to ask for. In any relationship, communication is the key. I get that it would be more difficult for hearing parents to raise a child who is deaf, the lack of trying is a major key though. Hearing parents need to learn to have that same communication with their children. Learning ASL is difficult but if you have a child who happens to be deaf, shouldn't you want to communicate with them? Go to any lengths to do so? 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on chapter 5, it is very difficult to understand what it is like to be deaf, and have a deaf child. Like you said Communication is key! It is essential for parent child relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you! Hope your doing well :)

    ReplyDelete