Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chapter 17

Pidgin English is, "a simplified form of speech, usually a mixture of two or more languages, that has a rudimentary grammar and vocabulary and is used for communication between groups speaking different languages (p. 119)." PSE is a blend of American Sign Language and English signs. It allows ASL signers and English speakers to communicate comfortably with one another. It  is a way of communication. It's important to remember that PSE is not the same as signed English. PSE has some English grammar but it is more ASL based. 

I thought this chapter was kind of confusing when reading it. It makes sense that these two things are different and I think the book is telling me that PSE is a mixture of ASL and English signing. So it has some ASL and some English based signs. I think if I were to choose I would prefer English signing because then the sentence structure would stay the same but I know thats not the correct way to do things. Also people that grew up Deaf would be confused while talking if you sign in English. Since I grew up speaking english it makes sense that I would prefer this way though. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I found this chapter to be rather confusing. There was lots of useful information. I hope to learn more about the different "types" of sign as we get further along in ASL. :)

    ReplyDelete