Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chapter 18

Chapter 18 talks about the ways to know if someone is using ASL or signed English. Since being in ASL 1 I already kind of knew the answer to this question because of the sentence structure. I think the signs are normally the same but it is the way you would sign the sentences. So seeing two people sign to one another, you would have to know the signs and then see what sentence structure they were using. Are they putting the time and topic first? 

This chapter also talks about what a sign-language continuum was. The book describes it as, "a diagram representing the entire population of sign-language users (p. 123)." 

A I said in the last chapter, I feel that it would be easier for me to pick up the language if I were able to sign in English. I understand though, that this is not the way it is supposed to be done. It's easier when you think of Sign Language as being a totally different language but it's hard to do this when sometimes you could sign like you talk. Like "how are you?" is "HOW YOU" but  still it seems the same. I think that it is going to take practice to get used to ASL signing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment