Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chapter 52


The chapter is about the difference between being hard of hearing and being deaf. I think that this was a good chapter to have in this book. I’ve found myself wondering about this sometimes but always thought that if a person is deaf they would not be able to hear at all and if they are hard of hearing then they can hear a little bit. The book states that a man named, Alexander Graham Bell said that if you lose your hearing after the age of 8, you are “hard of hearing,” no matter how deaf you are. I don’t entirely agree with this statement. Based on some previous statements in the chapter, Alexander Graham Bell is not the greatest guy in the Deaf Community.

The chapter says that, “the traditional criterion is the ability to use a voice telephone. If you have a hearing loss and can still use the telephone (even with amplification), you are hard-of-hearing. If you can’t, you’re deaf. Simple as that (pg. 315).” I think that this is a great cut and dry answer. I love answers that have these types of responses. It may not be the best answer to go by but it is still acceptable, I believe. Why not have a answer that is simple? 

No comments:

Post a Comment