Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chapter 48

Wow! What a crazy story! The grandmother fell down during her pregnancy and she had a boy and girl who were deaf, the grandma became deaf in one ear, the girls aunt has a daughter who is deaf in one ear, and her uncle's daughter has hearing loss, and she has Meniere's Disease. That book says that she must carry some genetic tendency towards being deaf. The book also states that is not uncommon for hearing loss to run in families. 

Honestly, I think it would be kind of nice to have something like that run in the family instead of one person being deaf. It would be easier to communicate and understand one another's frustrations. I also didn't realize that you could go to a genetic counselor to test about what you may have in your genes. I guess that makes sense but I didn't think they would be able to tell you anything about that type of gene. I guess I always assumed that it was random, not something in your genes that caused someone to become deaf. That is really interesting though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment