Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chapter 58


Physically, deafness is a disability. In school, that would be listed under their physical disabilities. I feel like the word disability is thrown around so easily now that saying I have a disability could be a numerous of things. I like that they talk about how people who are deaf can cope with their disability. It does feel weird saying disability, doesn’t it? Can I say though, wow, about the “please do not call us the hearing impaired community”. I don’t remember it saying anything about that in the book and feel like the author kind of just threw that comment out there. It was a little surprising. I like that the book says that people who are deaf still want their schools and their education opportunities for children who are deaf. I don’t feel like those should be taken away from people but I do feel that other students should be welcome to join. It sounds silly, I know, but still. It shouldn’t be only allowed for a certain type of people. I think that children whose parents are deaf should be able to go to these schools if they wish or children who have siblings that are deaf should be able to go to these schools as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment